Monday, December 1

Sofia's tasty rabbit

We cooked a delicious rabbit dish when we stayed in the Deruda region of Italy. A few months ago I passed by a fancy butcher shop and stopped in. They had rabbit! I brought it home but life got in the way and Mr. rabbit ended up in the deep freezer. We defrosted it last week in our bid to clean out the freezer before our move and it ws time to figure out how to prepare it. After reviewing a bunch of recipes (none of which were exactly right) I decided to add a bit of this and that and make what sounded good in my head.

Ingredients/Recipe
  • 1 rabbit cut up
  • sweet peppers (used a mix of the tiny red, orange and yellow ones) sliced into rings
  • one small onion minced
  • garlic
  • 1/4-1/2 cup leftover red wine
  • rosemary
  • olives (I used the rest of a deli container of ones with pits and a few sspoonfuls of pitted kalamatas)
  • chicken broth
I browned the rabbit pices along with oonion to give some color. Then I added the garlic and deglazed the pan with red wine. I added in the peppers, rosemary, and olives, and clamped a lid on to braise. I added a bit of chicken broth as needed to keep things moist. 

Served with soft polenta and it definitely reminded me of Italy!

No comments: