Wednesday, August 15

Crockpot/Slowcooker Beans

Crockpot/Slowcooker Beans

This is my general recipe for slowcooker beans. I rarely cook them on the stove anymore and I try to buy them in the can infrequently (both for reducing our BPA exposure and to save money). The whole family loves beans and could eat them many nights a week.

General directions
Pour beans into a colander and rinse under water. Pick out any weird ones, rocks, or random objects (my beans seem to generally be fine, but occasionally there is a stone). Dump into crockpot. Add water to cover by at least an inch. Choose seasonings. Turn on. Cook.

Seasonings
I usually include an onion (shallot, leek, garlic), some kind of pepper (black, red flakes, fresh hot peppers), and herbs (thyme, oregano, basil, cumin, coriander, a little cinnamon, paprika). I also always add salt initially even though all of the cookbooks tell you not to. I don't find my beans tough or the skins hard and this way I don't forget!

Freezing
You can't can beans without a pressure cooker, so I freeze mine. I actually freeze in rather large containers, because when we have beans we generally are making soup, chili, or fillings for things. So having 20-32 ounces is about right. I'd love to freeze in all glass, but don't currently have the supplies for that. I always cover with the leftover bean water to reduce freezer burn.

No comments: